Friday, July 4, 2008

Networking & SIFE






Before the minor programme started, I always thought that networking was a term callously used by business people, where they unscrupulously tried to get to know as many people as they can, not on the basis of friendship - but for the sole purpose of 'making' use of them should they need their help in the present or future. It made me feel like the entire concept of networking was very 'fake' - something which I abhor because as a person with an opinion, I feel that you should always be genuine to yourself and to others. Because otherwise, life has no meaning - nothing is real.

However, after participating in the minor programme, I feel that the definition of the term 'networking', at least to myself, has changed somewhat. Here, I realised that people who network, although not everyone, but most of them, they truly want to get to know the other person. The basis of most networkings here is friendship, not falsities. From there on, you get to learn about the other's passion, how he thinks, whether you can connect with his ideas, and suddenly the whole concept of networking does not seem so fake anymore. Networking is about helping each other, where you can - because everyone's on the same platform. We might be old or young, experienced or inexperienced, but eventually we want to help the other person not only because we might need that help one day, but because we can connect with that person or his ideas/passion. After all, you won't go all out of your way to help someone you don't like, right?

Oh man... I've managed to romanticise a dry subject like networking. My brain must be working on overdrive tonight.

Anyways, today was such an exciting day! Rushed in the afternoon to meet the new SIFE group and their VWOs. Basically, since I was (VERY) new to the group, I just sat back whilst I watched how the rest worked. I must say they are very enthusiastic people with hearts in the right places. Can you imagine, willing to slog for hours on end to fulfill a project where the only rewards you get is the satisfaction at being able to give the profits of your ventures to the beneficiaries? Amazing, they are.

Anyways, will probably assist them in setting up the bubble tea booth in NTU. Hopefully everything will be smooth sailing.

And JC and Minghui both said to me today, unconsciously, that they'd been eyeing me to be part of their SIFE group since EN101! That took me back a bit.. but now it seems I have to live up to their somewhat warped expectations of me.. and It seems like I might be joining their group somewhat for EN105.. dunno how the others in my previous group are gonna react cos they really like us working together as far as I can tell, and wouldnt want our group to break up. *gulp* I hate having to tell them that - because I really did enjoy the times we spent together (see picture above). ;( but i guess it's good to be able to work with new people - i mean that's what the minor programme is about, getting to know and working with new people all the time.

Sigh. the week's gonna be packed! Got training tomorrow in the morning, then tuition at my cousin Nurul's house in the afternoon, then the next day is our first league match (*DOUBLE GULP* >.<), and then have to start preparing for my exams on Thurs and Friday . On Monday, nafnaf is gonna drive me and tetty down to sentosa before we head on hopefully to the esplanade for some hot chocolate (adventure!!:D), tuesday - gonna meet the entre gang at national library to discuss exam stuff, wed will be spent planning my timetable and prepping for exam.. thurs and fri are two boring exam days.. and trainings and SIFE meetings in between!! >.<

Golly. Kay Kay, I really should go to sleep now, otherwise I'll be a zombie floorballer tmr. Like I always am.

GOODNESS i almost forgot to say HOW MUCH FUN I HAD SHOPPING TODAY!!! vivocity, simply stated, ROCKS.

I bought a zara sailor-ish dress/blouse. and also the hoodie from animal that is so chiooOOO and is apparently the last one they had thruout ALL THE F* SHOPS IN SINGAPOREEEEE. It was ex, but i'd been eyeing it for a very long time sO. Justified: )

Looks something like this, but in off white and bigger hearts;) :





No comments: